Author Archives: Rita Balrak

Science Fair

 Unfortunately Wally340 is not completed, but we will make something pretty out of it today. Here are some last shots of our work. 

foto 2

The needlebeds, carriage and encoder rack hanging on the frame

foto kopie 2

Our knitting board

foto 1 kopie

soldering

N.B: Some of the parts of this knitting machine – especially the parts that need to be 3D printed and lasercut – don’t have any tolerances. We really don’t want you to make wrong prints or lasercuts, so please read the following tips carefully:

  • This design includes many parts that need to be printed many times. Make sure you first make a test print to see if your print comes out well. If not you could change either the settings of the printer or the dimensions of the part.
  • The perspex that needs to be cut is sensitive. When we first cut it, some parts were bended and not accurate because of the settings of the laser. Perspex is not cheap, so first make sure the settings of the lasercutter are right!
  • Try to order as much parts as possible at the same website. This will save you shipping and service costs.

Read the Bill of Materials, we have it here for you:

Schermafbeelding 2014-10-28 om 10.00.13
Schermafbeelding 2014-10-28 om 09.57.40

Schermafbeelding 2014-10-28 om 09.57.47

 

 Bill of materials – Wally340 – Sheet1

We did some hard work, so find us at our digital knitting stand on the Science Fair at the Faculty of Industrial Design today, 28th of November. Our fellow Minor students are presenting their projects just like we will.

Oktober 28th 2014 - Science fair 1230-1600 hours.

Oktober 28th 2014 – Science fair. Faculty of Industrial Design Technical University Delft  adress: Landbergstraat 15 2628 CE Delft

 

Working on it.

Here is a short video of the perspex needle beds getting lasered.

YouTube Preview Image

Modelling all the parts in Solidworks is a reall task, but we are trying our hardest. While modelling all the parts in Solidworks, we also started making some of the assembles  in Solidworks. Below you can see the frame and printing beds put together in one assemble, to visualize the look of the new Wally.    Frame Assembly

One of the open-source goals we had to improve Wally was remoddeling all the parts in Solidworks instead of Googlesketchup so making changes will be al lot easier in the future. Next to that we are still waiting for many parts to be printed. We have to share the Ultimaker 3D printers with many other students, so patience is needed. Here is a quick view of where we are today.

prtsc

As you can see getting everything in solid works is going pretty well. Printing takes time, but with a little patience we will get there;).

Making progress?

                                                                 Hello,                                                                                     this week we are starting with some small changes in the design of Wally.

We are enlarging Wally120 to Wally340, this means the machine will be using 340 needles (170 on each side) instead of 120 (60 on each side). Which means Wally will grow a little bit. While enlarging Wally we will also try to solve as many problems that we found so far. The needle beds that are used in Wally120 are 100×788 mm. Because we will use 170 needles on each side Wally340’s size needs to be 100x1738mm. We have lengthened the splits where the needles fit in with 10 millimeters for better movement of the needles. In the image below the design of the new needlebeds in SolidWorks is shown.

Untitled

Problem 1
Everything that comes in contact with the wool when Wally is running has to be as smooth as possible to minimize tension and vibration. We dont want any vibration because it causes Wally to make mistakes (gaps) in the knitwork. And nobody wants socks with holes in them. The parts that come in contact with Wally are now 3D printed, this doesn’t result in very smooth parts, so we will print the parts with a different 3D printer.. the photoprinter!

Problem2                                                                                                                                                   The frame that was created for Wally340 to stand on its own is not solid enough. Currently the connecting parts between the frame construction are 3D printed, which also creates too much vibration when Wally is knitting. So we will design the frame without these 3D printed parts. The construction will be created by alluminium x-profiles like in the images below on the left.  The frame will be stable enough like this on its own. In the right image below you can see our new design for the standing frame.

_gNIT2j1SdbokdlG875nBzaU7S_WI_syMbtMoMP8UkY Foto 26-09-14 11 45 56 frame

Problem3                                                                                                                                                   The teeth that are used now are too tall, too thin and not strong enough. Which causes it to break more easily ( see image 1 below). We will design the teeth shorter so they won’t touch the needles when the machine is working(see image 2 below). And we will design them more solid to prevent them to break when the tight wool moves along them (see image 3). We will also print them with the Photoprinter so we can make sure it minimalizes the resistance between wool and the teeth when the machine is running.  The 3D printed bear heads will also be designed a little bigger and printed with the photoprinter which we already explained in the previous weblog post.

              Foto 29-09-14 10 28 31 Foto 29-09-14 15 04 10 Foto 25-09-14 12 58 15

tandjesbeertje

Next week we will buy all the material to build up the big Wally 340, and do some tests. Stay tuned …