The woolly socks – Geitenwollensokjes

”We are The Woolly socks, but we like to call ourselves de Geitenwollensokjes.”

In this project we will be working on the improvement and enlargement of the Wally 120. Wally 120 is an open-source digital knitting tool to create clothing from digital files. With this tool it will be possible to knit your own sweater, scarf, beanie or socks in less than an hour.

Wally 120 is the name given to this knitting tool. The number 120 behind it refers to the amount of needles used by the machine.                                   

                           CDlMoshvgX0liepgAAG8T9cBoqSLp4Hn7v6_lHUKWMM                                                                                                                                        This is Wally 120 

This first week we got introduced into Wally’s world and got the assignment to improve Wally 120 and enlarge it to a size of a machine with 340 needles instead of 120, which will be called Wally 340. We learned about the bugs that are still in Wally 120 and troubles that were found during the process.

To get to know Wally we had to completely strip down the machine and rebuild it back together.

Stripping down the machine wasn’t that hard, but while putting it all back together we bumped into all the little bugs and parts that will need more focus on. They didn’t all fit back in so easily because of the precisely detailed design. We will need to be this detailed as well when we will be designing our new parts.

The puzzle parts were spread out all over the working space. As you can see we did it all pretty neat. We stripped Wally 120 down piece by piece. We labeled and numbered all the parts in the following order so that we would be sure we were able to put it all back together. We made pictures of every single step to prevent mistakes.


  _hYY1yJivgwR-K3mLYwM8R0NLOwnLP0nSqAoy9FsvT4,YkGu4FWfhmiJI9NY1toytEIZnwfL1l4xLWcuHhfZcw8 24MhIiieVedLQHESNmXNIPWVUxnz1M6pB6y1u34UBAM,RS7PB1QGOkUgu3We_6zkfe-jYqWsxLi6ohqEhME2264 Qgt2BEeCAwbnJ0nZhXzbwnDbf5KnD8oG9IdaTbQqTdY,rpPOP4LvFm1dd5xJjQbg75xcxvgoXQ2ljD-2yij6kw0 MB2zk5usxvnIrlMBnJzpKJ-2b-pyEVLs3-uO9q6vbhk,OlXBvF6ONiGzGB5afy9Q1ZZgRhLsn8gb9wmOodJnU8I

While putting it all back together we found some problems.

                     0pgxy-kp80jQD__2AeQzEJ6kuHOm4OmypIrX7jGqRdE WSnfxYAFmGLeq5-rFWX9hwISeIxCKT3ME4YterpDlrc 6PMoU_PBylp-9ooDCXgouFugAhH5rtD2qj8zVNK-tJE

one of the problems is the material the little 3D – printed parts were printed in. This material is not hard enough so it breaks easily. As you can see in the image above one of the ears of the little bears head is missing. The function of this little bears head is connecting two construction pieces of the machine and it will make sure that all the parts will stay in their place. There were also some teeth that were broken. So we will need to find a stronger material, or print bigger parts to prevent the parts from breaking down.

In the second image you can see that the machine does not fit back the way it used to be. The big yellow triangle is set to high which causes the machine not to work properly. We turned a piece 45 degrees the wrong way so the whole needle bed was too high. A simple mistake, causes the machine to completely fail.

The third image shows that the needles touch the teeth when they go up. This would be a problem during knitting, but we noticed that when we put the machine in correct working position (hanging on its construction) the whole needle bed will lower a little bit. Now the needles won’t touch the teeth anymore.


Our goal for this project is to be printing our own flawless colorful knitted socks and to wear them at the end of this project during the presentation that we will be giving at the Science Fair about Wally 340.


Be Sociable, Share!

Leave a Reply